In just under a week, the United States will be celebrating Thanksgiving. While lately this has become a highly controversial holiday (for more than one reason, many of which I agree are fair) I still plan on celebrating with friends and family. To my family and I, Thanksgiving isn’t about the Pilgrims and the Indians. It’s not about shopping for the holidays or watching football. It’s about celebrating love, happiness, and the positive things in our lives. It’s so easy to focus on the negatives (and boy, who doesn’t have negatives?) but how often do we really sit down and think about the positives?
With that in mind, I’ve decided to list a few of the things I am truly thankful for. I hope, if you celebrate the holiday or even if you don’t, you can find some things you are truly thankful for as well. Feel free to comment with some of the things you are thankful for, down below.
My Thankful List 2017
- I am thankful to have a roof over my head (though not this roof in particular) and the heat used to warm it on cold, damp nights.
- I am thankful for the friends and family who have stuck by me through the years despite my often bossy, and no doubt annoying, personality.
- I am thankful for the hardworking and dedicated teachers who taught a snot-nosed little girl how to read (and the one that tried to teach her to spell properly.)
- I am thankful for the people who keep our libraries in operation and supplied with an abundance of books and learning materials for those who can not afford them.
- I am thankful for the many organizations who compile information, provide it freely to the public, and fight for our health and wellbeing.
- I am thankful for the ethical farmers who choose humane practices over wealth.
- I am thankful for the police, the firemen, the first responders, and everyone behind the scenes that work tirelessly and thanklessly to keep my community safe.
- I am thankful for the staff of my local coffee shop who always serve me quickly, politely, and with a smile on their faces even when I know they are very busy and most likely feeling very frazzled.